Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
Wood Mackenzie has an exciting opportunity for a Senior DevOps Engineer to join a fast paced, dynamic global business to help drive change and innovation. We’re looking for a skilled DevOps professional to help us take our software build, test, and release pipelines to a new level to support a transition of our services to the cloud in order to ensure rapid release cycle using Continuous Delivery techniques and technologies.
The principal responsibility of this role is to provide operational expertise within the Live Services group and to Engineering teams. This encompasses:
• working in partnership with the business and the technology teams, bringing awareness and insight of the different operational constraints / opportunities for projects targeting cloud-based or on-premises deployment
• team mentoring and project coordination
• design, implementation and maintenance of cloud and on-prem environments
• ownership of continuous integration/delivery toolset
• promotion of mutual feedback in cross-functional groups, following DevOps best practices
• a strong focus on service availability and proactive detection of problems
• Work with cross-functional teams to design and support delivery pipelines to bring projects live in cloud-based and on-premises environments
• Provide added value to cross-functional teams by raising awareness of operational constraints and opportunities (i.e., auto-scaling, containerisation)
• Ensure full coverage of the live environments from a monitoring, performance and availability perspective, continuously identifying areas of improvement
• Actively participate in team research & development to bring consistency and improve ease of access and maintenance for our tooling
• Work with a continuous improvement mindset, identifying operational processes that could be improved and drafting proposals
• As a Senior member of the team, acts as mentor for the group, constructively challenge service design and implementations, exhibit high degree of autonomy in taking decision over competing priorities, and propose new roadmap items to innovate and improve
• Be a mentor and a positive presence within the team, supporting collective growth, knowledge sharing and leading junior members to express their talent and to reach business goals
• Be able to articulate technical and business concepts to different audiences and be able to influence technical decisions with solid metrics collection and proof of concepts
Knowledge & Experience
• The successful candidate will have a solid background in IT Operation or Software Engineering with an operational mindset (full stack)
• Experience of designing and deploying in the cloud (Amazon Web Services)
• A DevOps mindset; experience of agile processes (Kanban / Scrum) is important and familiarity with JIRA is very welcome
• Ability to work proficiently in a team distributed at multiple locations and time zones
We understand every organization is different and professionals have their own unique history and experience, so we don’t expect to find a 100% match of candidate competencies in respect of the stack we use in Wood Mackenzie. We list our preferred technologies, but if you have transferrable knowledge (i.e., Chef instead of Ansible, or TeamCity instead of Jenkins) and you are willing to learn what you do not know, we will consider your application.
• Automation toolset knowledge (Ansible preferred)
• Continuous Integration and Delivery toolset (Jenkins and Nexus preferred)
• Solid Amazon Web Services knowledge (design and deployment in the cloud for resilience and high performance)
• Solid system administration skills with Linux and open-source technologies
• Relational database knowledge is desirable – experience working with various DB technologies such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL or PostgreSQL is valuable, as well as experience automating database tasks
• Monitoring toolset knowledge (Prometheus preferred)
• Git and familiarity with collaboration processes (pull/merge requests, etc.); we manage our infrastructure as code, so being comfortable with scripting languages (bash, python, go) is important
• Experience with containerisation technologies (Docker) is very welcome
• Experience with Kubernetes is very welcome
• Windows Server system administration is welcome but less of a requirement
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Click on apply will take you to the actual job site or will open email app.