Oxfam is a global organization working to end the injustice of poverty. We help people build better futures for themselves, hold the powerful accountable, and save lives in disasters.
The primary purpose of this position is to influence US foreign aid policy and practice to advance key aid reforms in US aid agencies in line with aid effectiveness principles and efforts to reduce inequalities, especially gender inequality. The Senior Policy Advisor will lead high-level advocacy efforts as related to the US foreign aid agenda, contribute to media outreach efforts, and conduct or support policy analysis. The position will play a key role in Oxfam’s strategy development and strategy implementation for all USG aid and development policy engagement, particularly around aid effectiveness issues, locally led development and aid and private sector engagement. The position will center reform efforts around a country-led, solidarity-driven approach to development that aligns with Oxfam’s values and feminist principles.
• Contribute to the design and execution of Oxfam America’s (OUS) policy advocacy and plans to advance aid reforms in primarily US-based aid agencies, including USAID, MCC, and the DFC, including by providing strong policy and political analysis, in line with AET plans and OUS’s strategic plans.
• Serve as expert representative and resource within Oxfam America and in public settings including public events, conferences and media on aid effectiveness issues, including the centrality of country-owned and locally-led development, gender and climate justice, and reorienting decision-making in the aid system towards the Global South, and decolonization of aid.
• Support Oxfam America’s policy and advocacy strategies on the thematic area of aid and the private sector, focused on the US Development Finance Corporation.
• Develop strong relationships with allies, partner organizations, think tanks, and policymaker targets and represent Oxfam in relevant networks and coalitions, such as the Modernizing Foreign Assistance Network and InterAction.
• Represent Oxfam at high-level meetings with US targets, working with the GRPP team when needed, to support advocacy and lobby efforts.
• Work with the Senior Policy Manager, Aid and Development Finance, the Together Against Poverty 2 (TAP2) research lead, and other policy leads to identify research needs, develop research plans, and carry out research and writing to support accountable use of US aid and development finance.
• Work with the Aid Effectiveness Team, Humanitarian Advocacy Team, and Oxfam regional and country offices to develop advocacy strategies and support advocacy for programming related to development effectiveness.
• In consultation with media and communications staff, draft for leadership and author in her, his, or their own name external-facing materials—op-eds, press releases, blogs, and briefs—on areas of specialization (US foreign assistance, aid reform, development finance).
• Support the development and implementation of influencing strategies with selected international/multi-stakeholder policy targets, in line with broader OUS influencing strategies and objectives and in collaboration with OI and the Global Aid and Development Finance team.
• Manage assigned budgetary resources for these activities, assuring effective use of Oxfam and donor resources.
• Manage relationships and ensure clear communication with key internal and external stakeholders.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
• Will stay current with and serve as an Oxfam internal resource for knowledge, learning and trends in the effective use of development assistance, and in international development, including the emerging knowledge basis on decolonizing aid, in support of policy advocacy and campaigns.
• Will stay current with professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
• Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America’s mission and goals.
• Will understand gender justice, diversity, and decoloniality of aid within key areas of responsibility and promote gender justice, feminist principles, and diversity in Oxfam America’s workplace and programs.
• Occasional travel to regional or OI offices may be required (no more than 8 weeks/year).
• Master’s degree or above in social science, development studies, humanitarian assistance, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
• Minimum of 5-7 years professional experience in the area of policy, advocacy, organizing and relationship management.
• Substantial knowledge and experience in international development, humanitarian assistance, or a related field.
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex multi-functional projects in a distributed work environment.
• Familiarity with US government’s foreign aid policy and practice.
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to represent Oxfam and public speaking experience.
• Ability to think and operate strategically and creatively.
• Ability to work with Microsoft Office Systems and using multimedia technologies.
• Experience working in a developing country.
• Experience writing and executing advocacy plans with measurable milestones.
• Demonstrated leadership ability.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a demanding environment with tight deadlines.
• Experience conducting, commissioning, and reporting on peer-reviewed research.
• Substantial knowledge and experience working on issues related to development effectiveness highly preferred.
• Experience working with US international development and development finance agencies strongly preferred.
• Experience in writing policy briefs and blogs.
• Experience in external representation with aid specialists and political targets and decision makers.
• Experience with feminist approaches to international development and decolonization.
• Experience with an advocacy-focused NGO and/or coalition.
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
We are an E-Verify employer.
For more information, please click on the following links:
E-Verify Participation Poster: English / Spanish
E-Verify Right to Work Poster: English | Spanish
Click on apply will take you to the actual job site or will open email app.